I will try to boil this down to the simplest of terms and tactical action steps. The problem is, marketing is not a simple action and getting your message out where you need it most isn’t either. However, we’ll give it a shot.
- What is the goal of your marketing strategy? Also define the product / service you are marketing
- If your strategy is successful what has to occur?
Answer these two questions first. Once you have them articulated perfectly for your brand, here are a few other things to think about. Now that you know what has to occur:
- Define the media that will work best to accomplish #1-2 above.
- Think about these three Paid, Owned, and Earned media. How can the marketing department use all of these effectively?
- If you haven’t defined your personas, get that started, you will need that to move forward
Now you know your goals, the success factors, how you are integrating media into your strategy and what personas you are targeting. What next? Good question. Here’s what I would do.
6. Determine the key messages and brand language and integrate them into your marketing channels.
7. Define the digital mix you will use (Web, Display, Blogs, Video, Mobile, Social Media, landing pages…) there are lots of them here.
- Be specific with defining your mix – which ones work best based on your personas you want to reach?
- Define how you will implement these with your team and your budget resources.
10. How will you determine if your digital marketing mix is effective? Also define Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)
These are not the only things to think about when creating your marketing strategy. They are top 10 that I would start with in order to get a strategy implemented.
Yourbrandexposed.com is designed to look at digital with an eye into the future using a creative, innovative marketing perspective. We’re a consultative and tactical resource for companies looking to leverage the power of digital, social and content marketing strategies.
Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott-macfarland/
Paid, Owned and Earned Media – HuffingtonPost