Marketing somehow has a way about it that causes one to drink more coffee. If you’re a marketer like me, you know exactly what I am talking about. Recently I wrote an article for the Huffington Post titled, Do You Want Beer or Coffee With Those Creative Ideas? As you know, marketing requires creative ideas, and lots of them. However, there’s a whole lot more to marketing than just creative ideas. With that being said, here are my Top 10 reasons I drink coffee, and creativity is only one of them.
- Be on time – all the time – and turn back time – all because there is always too much to do
- Think outside the box – even if there isn’t one
- Bring innovative ideas to the table – even when it’s not expected
- Understand the brand better than anyone – yes, even the CEO
- Know the competition better than they know themselves
- Go over and above what you are asked
- Create more cool things that yield a higher return – better than you did last year
- Work faster than everyone else in the company
- Figure out how to use all your existing tools better – and also the new digital tools that you aren’t using yet
- Have answers to questions, even when those questions don’t pertain to marketing
- Coffee, makes my brain think in warp speed – Yeah I know this is number 11, but I am allowed to go over and above what I am asked, just look at number 6.
Now you’re probably thinking that I am totally crazy, and your occupation is much more java-filled than marketing. Well… I have some data to back up my ideas. Here’s a survey commissioned by Careerbuilder and Dunkin Donuts. Guess what?, #2 on the list is Marketing / Public Relations – gotcha!