Blogging as we all know is one of those activities that you either love or hate. I don’t think there is a middle ground. Several years ago I started blogging and it was so painful to get started. I had no direction, no idea what to write about, I really didn’t read and research as voraciously as I do now, so developing new content was like pulling teeth. As painful as it was, I kept going.
Fast-Forward 7 Years >>
Currently, my blogging mentality has shifted and I cannot stop. I feel like I have an endless supply of content to write about, and I need to write more. — Yes, you heard me correctly. This year I started the HubSpot 30-Day challenge on January 1st. As I began the blog challenge, I thought about all the potential hurdles and excuses everyone would normally think about. Can I pull this off? Will I have enough time to blog each day? What exactly will I write about? These are just a few of the questions that crossed my mind before I committed to 30 straight days of blogging.
Fast Forward 90 Days >>
Today is a milestone for me. It’s the 90th straight day I have been blogging. There are several things along the way in which I have been enriched professionally. Here’s just a few:
- Connected with more people on LinkedIn and Twitter
- Learn more about my craft (Marketing)
- Developed an insatiable curiosity for “what’s next?” in marketing and digital
- Now creating thoughts and articulating them in a way that is understandable and relevant to my audience and myself
- I learned to dissect the marketing process even more than I thought I would want to
- Today, I think about how other people’s perspectives align with mine and how can I potentially adopt those as part of my marketing acumen.
- Stylistically, blogs are all different. Writing my own gives me a deeper understanding of what I am writing about.
- Reading other blogs provides me with a window into the soul of the person that is writing. That can be very exciting, especially when you want to learn more about their blog topic.
These are just a few of the incredible things I have learned while blogging each day. I challenge you to start blogging.
Don’t wait for a ” corporate challenge” like I did. Just do it like Nike says. Trust me, you will be so much smarter as you dive into concepts and re-write them into your own words.