Marketers know that understanding our customers is critical not only for our own survival but also for the company to thrive. That’s why we are always thinking of ways to understand our customers at a deeper level. Before your marketing team begins spending the precious marketing budget, I suggest you obtain some data first. This will help your team validate the marketing spend to your boss and own the process along the way. Overall, this will help your team create a strategy that is more effective with data that backs it up –Bosses like that.
Survey Your Customers
It’s always a good idea to keep your finger on the pulse of your customers’ right? Of course it is. Have you thought about surveying them to capture important information? Before you administer the survey, think about what information you want to get from the survey and ask those questions. You will be surprised at what your customer’s are motivated by and what their responses are. The more informed you are about them, the better off you will be.
“Using a customer market research survey is a fairly quick and efficient way to identify an audience and start brainstorming content strategies that will keep current customers interested and convince potential customers to convert.”
– Alyssa Ennis, Distilled.net
20 Survey Questions
When you conduct a survey, it is very important that you don’t ask your customers every question under the sun. Keep it short, keep it simple, and only ask the questions you want answers to. Here are some questions I have used in the past that helped me find out how to better market to my customers. Of course, I am assuming that the basic demographic information is already known. You will notice there is a why? listed after many of the questions. That is critical information for you to know and understand as well.
- What is the social media channel do you use the most? Why?
- What communication delivery method do you check most frequently per day? (email, social media, phone, text) Why?
- What device do you spend most time in front of? (Smartphone, tablet, desktop or TV?) – Why?
- What type of information do you consume the most online? (news, sports, tabloid, work related, general lifestyle, online shopping/browsing)
- What time of day are you most likely to browse websites and consume non-work content? (6am-10am, 10am-2pm, 2pm-6pm, 6pm-midnight, midnight-6am)
- What search engine do you use the most? Why?
- What app do you use the most on your smartphone? – Why?
- Do you read blogs and online articles? (yes, no)
- Do you see blogs and articles as credible? (yes, no)
- What online email service provider do you use? Why?
- What 3 websites do you visit most often each week besides online email? Why?
- Where do you do your research prior to making a purchase?
- Do you listen to the radio? Online radio?
- Do you watch primetime TV?
- Do you read magazines?
- Do you consider yourself a light, moderate or heavy mobile app user?
- Do you share photos and videos on social media?
- Do you prefer to buy online or in person?
- Do advertisements or blogs and articles help you to feel more informed before make a purchase?
- Have you ever downloaded a product eBook in return for submitting your contact information?
- Do you watch videos online?
Once you decide to survey your customers, you will then have a very good snapshot of the type of person they are, what media they consume, the times they consume it and also some of their personal preferences and motivations. All of this information will help you to decide how to develop a marketing strategy that will elevate your brand above and beyond the competition. It all starts with understanding the customer first.
YourBrandExposed is designed to look at digital with an eye into the future using a creative, innovative marketing perspective. We’re a consultative and tactical resource for companies looking to leverage the power of digital, web, social and content marketing strategies. Contact us if you’re feeling the digital squeeze on how to best market your company.
Photo Credit: UnSplash – Nicolai Bernsten